Friday, May 6, 2005

What would be the definition of a successful anchor?

Certainly ratings play a part in that. I can't imagine CNN evening program is getting very good ratings when one considers the context is nothing but reruns of film loops of at least one day old news.

There are ways of 'handling' Jews and then there is the way CNN handles them.

Christian Science Monitor

The Daily News
International Herald Tribune
The Times Herald Record
The Chicago Sun Times


Or there is 'the truth' as it leaks out on Larry King Live.

From the Transcript on a Quintessential Evening hosted by Jiminy Glick.

S(hawn). KING: Larry is extremely generous.

GLICK: He is?S. KING:

Yes, he is.

GLICK: What's the greatest gift he's ever given you?

S. KING: On Valentine's Day, he took me to the window beneath our bedroom, and down below he had had the gardener put in a heart shape of flowers that were, you know, surrounded

(INAUDIBLE).

GLICK: Oh my goodness.

S. KING: And I thought that was great.

GLICK: That is so -- for him to take that kind of time to say, Jorge, flowers! I mean, that is really -- that is really an unbelievably -- that's a mensch, as those people say.

S. KING: That's a more romantic scene.(

CROSSTALK)

L. KING: What do you mean by "those people"? I take offense at that.

GLICK: Well, I'm talking about the Zeigers and people like that. I mean...

L. KING: You mean the Jewish people!

GLICK: I didn't say that.

L. KING: That's what you meant! I hear it enough at home!

GLICK: Listen, first of all, I love -- it's -- the Jewish people are responsible for more wonderful things in this world.

L. KING: You're right.

GLICK: Absolutely. But the second, you know, a WASP says, I don't like your name, they change it, right, according to you.

GLICK: Absolutely.

But the second,

you know,

a WASP says,

I don't like your name,

they change it,

right,

according to you.

THAT'S a joke?

Well. I think there is an underlying truth someone was just DYING to 'get out there.'

Not anymore.

Names don't get changed anymore, as my Great-Grandfather did.