Thursday, August 4, 2005

The Drastic Change in Direction regarding Honoring the American Dead Soldiers

This segment was started while David Bohrman was Executive Producer. This is from a transcript November 25, 2004 after there was a change in Ex. Prod. but the segment continued as a form of respect of the soldier regardless the legitimacy of the war. The 'viewer' e-mail maybe fictious but that is irrelevant to the fact this commitment was important.

BROWN: We received an e-mail from a viewer recently about the names we show on the program every night, the names of men and women, young and not so young, who die each and every day in Iraq.

"When I hear the music," she writes, "my eyes fill with tears but I try to stop everything. I look at their names. I try to hold each one in my mind to honor each one for a moment. It's painful," she wrote, "but it makes me more honest."

Those are the names, the hundreds of names by now, that we tend to focus on the most but for every one there are many, many more, thousands more who have been wounded in the war.

THE SEGMENT is frequently omitted from programming and when shown only lists two names to reduce the impact of the reality of death in Iraq.